Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Episode III - Revenge of the splint.

The verdict is in. Broken jackass, broken... For those of you keeping track, the wedding was Sunday and it was a blast. I limped and favored my foot all day but apart from having to sit down half way through the ceremony, things went just fine. Thanks to Kurt, Greg, Steve, Les and of course Chris for all the assistance during the day. We got home around 10:30 PM and collapsed into bed. Before I fell asleep, I did notice that I had a voicemail. I listened and it was from the hospital stating that they needed to discuss my xrays. First thing Monday, I called and they verified that my ankle was indeed broken and that I needed to see an orthopedist ASAP. I STILL don't see the break in the xrays but, I'm not a doctor. So, today I went to see the ortho and he was great. Very nice man with a good bedside manner. The first thing he asked was... "Does that hurt?", pointing at the air splint that the hospital had provided. I said well, yeah it does. A lot actually. He said well, that's because it's not really the best solution for an injury of this type and he promptly removed it. As he was removing it, he told me that the device was revolutionary in sports medicine but just not the right choice in this case. Anyway, he wanted to get new xrays just to confirm the diagnosis. 4 photos and about 30 minutes later I was being fitted for an ankle brace and a stability boot. He told me that what had happened was that when my foot rolled over, the tendon was stronger than the bone and a piece of bone actually pulled away from my ankle. OUCH. On the drive home, the pain in my ankle was as bad as anything I have ever experienced but I assume that was just due to the fact that the Dr was manipulating it and checking range of motion. Now that I am home and had a chance to put it up, it feels MUCH better. The Vicodin helps too. I need to wear this contraption for 3 - 5 weeks and I should be back to normal.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy Crap! I didn't see this coming!

Well... at least it's stylish, no? ;)